Monday, May 7, 2007

Personal Favorites


There are times when I notice a painting in the gallery that really should not still be there. The other day I noticed that Ellen Granter's "Mitchell's Cedar Waxwing" is hanging in the office. It is one of my favorite paintings and really, if buying another painting would not endanger my marriage than this post would be irrelevant. Except that I live in an attic apartment and until we figure out how to hang paintings at an angle under the eaves, I am cut off. Although I can still fit in a Jamie Johnson from time to time without anyone getting upset with me.

But back to the Cedar Waxwing. It has this Asian quality to it that is so tranquil. And I love its textural surface. I always love seeing the brushstrokes, and this one is exceptional. It is looser than most of the paintings we've had by Ellen and maybe I like it because it is so distinctive in the collection.

Here's a detail:


Yes, I will probably be remorseful when it finds a home. But in the meantime, I thought I'd share it with you so it will be appreciated even while it hangs in the office.

Mitchell's Cedar Waxwing, oil, 25 1/4" x 25 1/2", $1,700
Currently available in our Orleans gallery

No comments: